Re: World files

From: Derkhil CatSpawn (dbaker@harpo.dev.uga.edu)
Date: 02/10/94

| The only thing that I would suggest is that the Miden' nir, or whatever
| that big goblin mess south of the city dump, should be moved to another
| place to keep newbies from wandering into it, and perhaps some other EASY

Done that ;)  I was sone of the ppl that complained about it's odd
placement earlier - it's now across a bridge south of the Light Forest,
and it's been modified to a lower lev area.

| area.  I was thinking about maybe a practice arena, or some such other
| thing where newbies could feel at home and learn how to play the mud
| before going out into the rest of the mud and getting their posteriors
| smeared all over the ground.

IMO my moded light forest fits this, while still remaining within genre (I'm
a genre nut - so sue me ;) and without seeming too 'contrived'.  Call me old
fashioned, but I think that newbies learn best by encountering areas closer
to what they'll have to later - otherwise when they "grow up" they may still
expect the ease of these 'arenas' or mud-schools *shiver*. I'm against
'killing fields' in general (the nursery and farm in shire...heck, ALL of the
Shire, really..) and my mods to existing areas will reflect that.  The moded
light forest isn't a breeze, but is a bit beefy on the exp side.  There is
food and water easily available, as well as some cash and equip (barrel,
lantern, cudgel, and I *think* there is something in the lake...). The area
rewards those that actually read the room descripts and attempt the interact
with the world it describes.  A modified Dark Forest will be added soon,
which will be more low-level friendly - in fact, the whole west side of the
world will be practically dedicated to the below 12th lev characters.  I'll
try and toss together a GIF or JPEG (any preferred format?) map showing
what I've got in mind tomorrow or Friday and I'll post it here.  This new
world will *not* be finished by the 15th to be in with 3.0, but there will
be mods in the 3.0 world, so never fear.  I'll post more about both of these
later tonight...

Danny