Re: tongues

From: VampLestat (vamp@csulb.edu)
Date: 05/11/94

On Wed, 11 May 1994, Steppin' Razor wrote:

> I'm working on a tongue system in which people who don't have the same
> hometown just see jibberish when they talk to each other. I want to use
> the same sort of thing that's in say_spell, but I don't want the text to
> be returned to the character WITHIN the function; rather I want to pass
> the text to the function and have it return the "translated" text.

I would probably do it with some sort of random function to the
translation, possibly even based on the intelligence of the character.
If you use a strait mapping from one charater to another and certain
character combinations like say_spell, players can actually write
routines to decode this via their client.  Slight randomization would
prevent that.

Certainly a bit of work, but once someone pulls it off, they'll just copy
the code for everyone else.

_O_ Ryan L. Watkins                   e-mail: vamp@csulb.edu