Re: Player file corruption

From: Simran R. Kumar (srk4@po.cwru.edu)
Date: 06/30/94

>Ack! Never had this one happen before..... I was doing what
>I thought was pretty standard word, adding an integer
>to the character information, in more or less the same way I had done
>with races, just adding declarations in structs.h...
>After compiling and starting the MUD, the player files were corrupted.
>Is there a direct cause and effect between these two event, and if so
>is there anything I can do to get my player file back?
>When I try to log on as my imp, it just makes me recreate the
>character EVERY time... ideas for somebody in too deep?
>Nino

Yup...they are directly related.  If you make a change to the player info
in the structs.h, it will cause a player file corruption.  The only way to
get it back (that I know of) is to replace the player file with the backup
I KNOW you made before you tried any changes. :>

To prevent this from happening later on, just use the extra fields (i think
they are at the end of the specials2  part).

Ace
__
Ace   ace@b63740.cwru.edu   srk4@po.cwru.edu
Metal Director             WWW->http://b63740.cwru.edu/0/brothers/ace/ace.html
WRUW-FM / Cleveland        AbsolutMUD (b63740.cwru.edu 4000)

Who are you to criticize           |
To judge and burn the tribes       | Put your money where your mouth is
The world will be extinct	   | So I can shove it down your throat.
And your flesh will rot with mine. |