Re: Jeremy, how do you feel? (fwd)

From: Eric Pilcher (rasta@CSOS.ORST.EDU)
Date: 08/25/94

> This is not the answer I wanted to here, and to me it doesn't make any
> sense.  It is not forcing the players to pay for an account, it is the
> same as just putting a 20 person limit on because of lack of ram or
> something.  In fact the license is hurting poor site-less Implementors
> like me.  Oh jeeze, this legal stuff makes me sick, I just want to put up
> a mud and have my players enjoy it, but because of all this stupid legal
> red tape I am once again probably site-less.  *sigh*

Okay, I'm a bit confused as to what the exact problem here is.  But I see
it this way.

If the site is charging players a certain ammount of money to bypass the
20 person limit on the Mud ITSELF.  Then, yes, that violates the licensing
agreements.

If the site is charging players a certian ammount of money to bypass the
20 person limit on a random machine, from which the Mud may be accessed,
but not solely devoted to the Mud.  Then there should not really be a
problem.  That would be like accusing any netcom, aol, or genie sites
that happen to run muds (not sure if any do) of breaking a liscence
agreement becuase they charge their users a monthly fee to use their
machines (from which they can telnet to muds).

-Eric:  rasta@CSOS.ORST.EDU, gt7282c@prism.gatech.edu | mud.CSOS.ORST.EDU 4000