Re: banning sites/accts (fwd)

From: Jeff (jfink@csugrad.cs.vt.edu)
Date: 08/31/94

"Mr. Wizard" <jsbarrow@fas.harvard.edu> writes:

> Basically that's what I do now, but I still feel it would be nice to get
> userids.  Two simple reasons aside from convienance of ban.
>
> 2.  When you have a _REAL_ problem, you can contact the system
> administrator of the person's site and have a userid in hand to work with.

Keep in mind that many systems don't yet run ident, and that ident is
nowhere close to being secure.  Even once you get the user name (or site
for that matter) you can never truely know if it's accurate (unless you're
willing to trace the path all the way back, which can be made a lot of work).

-Jeff