Re: Political problems with imortals... (fwd)

From: Mr. Wizard (jsbarrow@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: 09/06/94

On Tue, 6 Sep 1994, VampLestat wrote:

> Agreed.  I'd also add that its also a good idea not to "auto-immort"
> people.  Only give immortal status to people you can trust with it, not
> just any slob that manages to gather up enough XP.

Given the current definition of immortal, I agree.

> > > are a bunch of ways to do this.  My favorite is to seperate the MUD into
> > > level mortals.  And from time to time they can ascend down to the mortal
> > > plane and get involved in things.
> >
> > 	Never thought the thing that way. It's a great idea. Besides, it'll
> > give the immortals something to do that in't annoy or over-help the mortals.
>
> If immorts get involved in player affairs, they will always be capable of
> helping some players in an unfair way.  You need to have immorts that you
> trust, not just anyone with sufficient experience.

Well my discussion of planes and immortal/mortal interaction was (or
should have been) preceeded by saying that immortals do NOT need the
godlike powers that they currently have (not being able to be hit by
mobs, etc.).  Instead they would continue the adventures of mortals.  The
main difference being that immortals reside on other planes.  Inspired by
mythology, I like the idea of having an immortal banished to his or her
home plane when defeated.  There is a lot of potential here, and the
whole point of doing this with immortals is to give them something to do
besides interfere with mortals and help out their friends.

> > 	Although I agree with the immortal planes, I think that I'll have
> > to make some changes in the code I don't want to implement now (not with the
> > 3.0 about to be released). Perhaps the better way to deal with it would be
> > just immort the people I really trust.

That's currently what we do.  People just sit at level 100 until they are
advanced by a god (although nobody has gotten that far yet).

> Now you've got it...
>

> _O_ Ryan L. Watkins                   e-mail: vamp@csulb.edu
>  |  Academic Computing Services       url   : http://www.acs.csulb.edu/~vamp/
>  |  CSU Long Beach - Network Support  pgpkey: finger vamp@gothic.acs.csulb.edu
>     Darkside Consulting   -   Unix  /  Windows  /  Mac  /  Internet  /  Design

||  Joshua Sky Barrow  ||| Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Science ||
|| 19 Central St., #28 ||| "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.    ||
|| Somerville, MA      |||  If you can dream it, you can become it."      ||
|| 02143-3832          |||                                   Unknown      ||
|| (617) 666-0859      ||| E-mail:  jsbarrow@fas.harvard.edu              ||