Re: ADDCLASS.DOC and Newplementors

From: Laurence A. and Milena R. Rooks (mrj1@Ra.MsState.Edu)
Date: 10/04/94

On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, Jim Meyer wrote:

> Thus spake Chris Herringshaw:
> >

> >On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, Stefan Rensing wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'd really appreciate if someone could repost that famous addclass.doc.
> >> Would be nice. It's quite annoying to dig such things out of the source
> >> by yourself all the time.
> >>

> >GOD FORBID a mud implementor have to actually learn something about how
> >the DIKU/CIRCLE source code works.  What would do you a hell of a lot
> >more good then the addclass.doc, is to go through the code and add the
> >stupid class yourself, that way you know every point that a class affects
> >the running of the game....much more valuable then a doc page, especially if
> >you run the darn thing for public play.
>
> First off, an answer to your last question: No, mine's private (to myself
> and my two cats) until I feel comfortable enough to take it public. Probably
> a year, maybe never.
>
> Secondly, try seeing it from the eyes of an inexperienced but eager coder.
> Like mine. To me, a doc is like having that person who was kind enough to
> write it point at different sections of the code and say "See? This is where
> the arglefargle transgenerates a thirblig, and that's what makes it go."
> Except that while I'm using his written words to begin to understand, the
> master programmer can be off doing something else, say, a cute blonde with a
> star-shaped birthmark. And thus, we are both satisfied (although in
> different ways...I hope!)
>
> Please don't sell us newbie implementors short. We're not all rabidly eager
> to expose the world to our misshapen unwieldy designs, and we do share with
> you more experienced programmers on this list a love for MUDding and a
> desire to let others one day roam free in our imagination.
>
> --Jim, a Newplementor who plunges shamelessly onward.

YEAH!!!!

Except about the blond with the star-shaped birthmark. :-)

Give us a break.  We're new just like you were however many years ago.

* Laurence Anthony Rooks             * Milena Renee Johnson              *
* Spawn/Silk                         * Syn/Synemin                       *
* tclr@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu        * mrj1@ra.msstate.edu               *
* "Life without a mud is boring.     * "If it ain't romance, it aint     *
*  But mud without a life is         *  shit."                           *
*  stupid."                          *                                   *