Re: stupid newbie question

From: Kilkenny (gjerde@badlands.NoDak.edu)
Date: 03/10/95

On Fri, 10 Mar 1995, Ja vel Bosdal wrote:
> Hmmm.. Well, not all unix systems are created equal.. In fact, the one we
> use 'Solaris' doesnt even have a patch command..  Its possible the

Solaris does have patch.. make sure the path for the command is in you PATH

It should be in /usr/bin

> A side note, I tried to install patches on my other account, and they
> seemed to lock up as well.. would have to kill the task cause it would
> just sit there and do nothing for about 10 minutes.. and that is with the
> patch command.

If you don't specify a filename it's waiting for input from stdin..

The correct syntax is: patch < filename
                             ^
                        This one is necessary! :)

Those man-pages is really helpful.. *hint hint* ;)

*  Ole Gjerde                                   | Computer Science major  *
*  aka Kilkenny                BrightstarMUD    |    at  North Dakota     *
*                                               |    State University     *
*  Email: Gjerde@Badlands.NoDak.Edu             |-------------------------*
*         Gjerde@Plains.NoDak.Edu               |   Proud user of Linux   *