The CircleMUD Portability Project

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@blaze.cs.jhu.edu)
Date: 03/12/95

Hi,

I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of every hardware and software
platform that Circle is known to compile on.  I need *your* help, please!!
I only have access to a relatively limited spectrum of UNIX workstations
so I depend on you, the user community, to provide compatiblity reports.

I'm trying to create a table that looks something like this:

--cut here--

CircleMUD has been reported to compile cleanly, out of the box, on the
following systems:

Operating System Version       Hardware        Reported By
-----------------------------  --------------- ------------------------------
Linux 1.2.0                    Intel i486      jelson@blaze.cs.jhu.edu
Solaris 2.3                    Sun SS10        jelson@blaze.cs.jhu.edu

--cut here--

If you'd like to help generate this list of compatible systems, please
follow the following easy 7-step program:

1) Get a clean, fresh copy of Circle 3.0 beta patchlevel 7.

2) Unpack it and type 'make'.

3) Note any compiler warnings and/or errors.

4) If there are ANY warnings or errors at all, go to step 7.

5) Try running the MUD for a little while (actually play it, preferably
   several people at once, for 5 or 10 minutes.)

6) If everything seems to work correctly, fill out a one-line compatibility
   entry in the format of the table above, and mail it to jelson@jhu.edu.
   Otherwise, continue to step 7.

7) Write mail to jelson@jhu.edu describing the problems you've had or
   showing the errant compiler output.  Do not submit a "compatibility line"
   as shown above -- that's only for 100% clean compiles.  After you mail
   me the compiler output, I will attempt to fix Circle so it works with your
   OS, and you can try again with the next patchlevel.

Thanks!!

Jeremy