script needed

From: Melissa (madison@nevada.edu)
Date: 03/18/95

  Anyone here any good at awk or something? I really haven't studied
anything but C/C++ and I could use a script that would be better suited
for one of those text languages. See, I write a complete .wld, then
complete .mob, etc. When I get to the .zon file, I'm like, shit, which
mob did I want? What is the vnum of that sword again? Now, since each
file is averaging 5000+ lines, it's a bitch to just scroll back through
them, no matter how many windows you got open. So, I figure a script
which reads the file in, and prints out the vnum and either short name or
keyword list. Any takers?
e.g.
#1 sword long               #1 kobold
#2 sword short              #2 cityguard
#3 bullwhip                 #3 wizard