Re: Clans (fwd)

From: Anthony Spataro (ads@netcom.com)
Date: 03/29/95

Another neat way to implement clans would be to add two variables to each
player: a string my_clan_name and a player-identifier my_clan_leader.
my_clan_leader couldn't just be a pointer to a char_data struct, it would
have to be a playerfile record number or something--I never looked at how
Circle saves its data to disk.  Anyways...what happens is, each player in
the game can both belong to a clan (check his my_clan_leader) and *be the
leader of a clan* (check and see if his my_clan_name contains a string).
The result of all this is a heirarchical social structure instead of a
simple clan-or-no-clan situation.  This having been done, you could do a
quite a bit of neat stuff with it.  For instance, you can check if a
player is an indirect member of a clan, and act accordingly.  If I'm a
Crusher, but the leader of the Crushers is a Mauler, then perhaps I can
seek shelter in the Maulers' clan hall.  Perhaps people that are
co-clanar (in the same clan) get bonus xp when fighting in a band.
Perhaps players will automatically come to the defense of a fellow
clansman.  There's lots of neat stuff that could be done...

/ads@netcom.com
[LC/Cardy/Kilwren/Cardenyl
\PASO/Paradigm/Storm
Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.