Re: A few questions from a beginner

From: Scott Francis (sfrancis@CS.Trinity.Edu)
Date: 04/07/95

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, SROWAN wrote:

> Hello,
> I have recently acquired a unix site and a copy of circle 3.0, patch 7; and
> have a couple questions.
> 1) is there a faq concerning coding?  If so, where can I get it?

  I think you will find a rudimentary document about coding in the doc
section of the release.  It will tell you what a variety of the functions
do and how they can be used.  The source code itself is also documented
really well for a release of this size and availability.  The coding,
once you get used to the structures really isn't that bad at all.

> 2) I would like to add two god commands to those that come standard
>      a: reim

I'm not surew what this command is supposed to do?  I wish you would put
a description of it's affect as I have not seen it on any mud that I am
an immortal on.

>      b: calm ( to halt fighting in a room)

I patched together some code myself to create a calm function that I
called peace.  The code works well except for mobs who remember that
characters have attacked them.  They will wait a couple of turns and then
start attacking again.   I haven't had time to find the right flag to
change that aspect....but the following code works great...

ACMD(do_peace)
{
        struct char_data *vict, *next_v;
        act ("$n decides that everyone should just be friends.",
                FALSE,ch,0,0,TO_ROOM);
        send_to_room("Everything is quite peaceful now.\r\n",ch->in_room);
        for(vict=world[ch->in_room].people;vict;vict=next_v)
        {
                next_v=vict->next_in_room;
                if(IS_NPC(vict)&&(FIGHTING(vict)))
                {
                if(FIGHTING(FIGHTING(vict))==vict)
                        stop_fighting(FIGHTING(vict));
                stop_fighting(vict);

                }
        }
}

make sure you add the command to intrepreter.c or it will not be
available on the mud.  I don't know how you plan to set things up, but I
consider this command to be a great immortal level command.  If you have
any questions fell free to write me back...

Also thanks to everyone that posted to me on my earlier question.  I was
able to create a really nice multiroom scan command.  I added a little of my
own ideas to it making is so that the number of scanable rooms is based on
level, (level 1-5 1 room scan, level 6-25 3 room scan, level 25+ 5 room
scan) with theives +1 room per level classification.  Your comments
really helped me out a lot.

Now if anyone could help me with online creation I would be eternally
grateful....   :)

Scott Francis

Scott Francis    ------   sfrancis@janus1.cs.trinity.edu
Trinity University        Computer Science