Re: Circle: Important: Should Circle switch to ASCII playerfiles?

From: Kilkenny (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 04/23/95

On Mon, 24 Apr 1995, Jeremy Elson wrote:

> Before anyone gets too deeply into discussion of how to convert playerfiles,
> for use with other UNIX systems, I may as well bring up an idea I've been
> thinking seriously about for the past couple of weeks: switching Circle
> over to using ASCII-based playerfiles.
> Why?  Well, first, I'll tell you the reason I've wanted to stick with binary
> files in the past:
> -They take up less space (1K per player vs. 4K per player, or whatever the
> min blocksize of your filesystem is.)  I found that less than 25% of players
> have rentfiles in practice, so a binary file saved space.

I also think that most people have enough HD space, so that this doesn't
pose much of a problem.

> all data there.  On a similar, related note, the Mail and Board systems
> will probably also switch over to being ASCII-based -- simple text files
> always win over unreadable binary files.
> Comments are welcome.  I haven't come to a firm decision on this yet, and
> although I'm heavily inclined to make the switch, I'd be willing to stay
> with binary if there's serious opposition.

I would very much like to see this come true.  The speed wouldn't make much
of a difference on most systems.  The plusses is in my eyes easily
out-weightes(sp?) the minuses.. :)
Maybe even put in a option to save it in binary? (Tho might be a lot of
unessecary code)

I also saw a post about compressing pfiles with gzip/compress, and I've
though about this before, but I think it would slow down things a lot.
So I've decided not to put it in, but it might be nice as a option tho.

*  Ole Gjerde                                   | Computer Science major  *
*  aka Kilkenny                                 |    at  North Dakota     *
*                                               |    State University     *
*  Email: Gjerde@plains.NoDak.edu               |-------------------------*
*         Gjerde@badlands.NoDak.edu             |   Proud user of Linux   *