Re: FAQ

From: Giao H Phan (gphan@sas.upenn.edu)
Date: 05/31/95

> I feel the best way to learn is by example and if we (this list) are sick
> of repedetly giving the same answer to the same questions I think a faq
> would be incredible beneficial to all. When I started working on my mud

fine. jeremy has written an entire mud wich u are free to use as example.
if yer sick of answering the same questions, dont. make a directory on
the ftp site avail to ppl who wish to find answers to commonly asked
questions. stick yer faq in there. stick entire pieces of code in there.
stick nude pictures of my mother in there. dont stick yer 'answers' on
the list.

[story snipped]
> (people from this newsgroup) I probably would have not continued in my
> endever to create a worth while mud for players and the satisfaction of
> completeing a coding challenge for myself. I believe now I can take on

um, the decision to continue pimpin a mud is that of the pimplementor. i
am implying that the groups' intended help may actually be giving newbie
pimps a false sense of security regarding their actual coding talent.
we aren't here to breast feed newbie C coders. we aren't here to ease the
transition from DOS batch files to circle code. or are we? are you
suggesting we list every common feature in pseudo-code? why not
distribute a second copy of circle, complete with all the twinky
modifications illustrated in the FAQ. shrug... are you going to encourage
joe newbie to dump his problems on us, to be solved for him, or are you
going to stuff a FAQ down his throat when he asks? which is better?

> figuring but..). I propose that we dont actually Give code to new imps
> or coders but we provide directions/pseudo code for the basic questions
> that people ask...like: How do I add lvls? How do I make Implementor show
> up in the who list? and other things of this nature. I dont feel that
> providing this basic info to new imps would hurt there sense of coding
> exploration nor would it give them all the answers. Obviously in the
> faq I would want it stressed how to go about attacking a coding task,
> how to debug your code in detail, and the fact that before you even
> attempt to start the program you should read every line of code in each
> file 5 times over and all the docs avaliable in the docs dir. Thus
> beside giving basic coding ideas/directions/pseudo code the faq could
> become a guide to properly starting a circle mud and the eq/time/and hours
> of coding time required to become a reputable mud.

is hacker.doc included with circle distrib? perhaps it should be...
...whateva. i agree if u do the FAQ thing at all, it should be
pseudo-code, but even that seems quite cheap to me.

-dert