Re: OLC...

From: Alastair Neil (
Date: 06/01/95

>I'd like to ask all you brave folks who wrote your own OLC a couple
>1) Did you convert your world files to binary or keep using text.
>2) If you use text, were you able to find some clever way to avoid writing
>   the whole world file every time you want to save changes?
> _/\_   GU -d H s : g? p5 au- a17 w v- C UL P L 3- E---- N K- W--- M-- V-- po
>/ L  \  Y t 5 j-- R G---- tv-- b D B--- e u*(**) h! f !r !n !y+
>\_ C_/  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  \/    My life as an instruction: xchg   al,al
>It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than forgiveness for
>being right.

1) Initially we did not use a binary database but then save times became so
large that we have switched.  Actually the binary database is not fully
implimented yet - but it is working well for objects - which is the main pain.

2) I guess you could store each obj/room/mob description in a separate file
in a directory labeled by the zone. All that opening and closing files sure
would be slow at boot time though.

Ich habe Dinge gesehen, die ihr Menschen niemals glauben wuerdet. Gigantische
Schiffe, die brannten draussen vor der Schulter des Orion. Und ich habe
C-Beams  gesehen - glitzernd im Dunkeln nahe dem Tannhaeuser Tor. All diese
Momente werden verloren sein in der wie Traenen im Regen.
                                Zeit zu sterben...