SYSERR: CHECKPOINT

From: Dave Conn (MICROS@SRUVM.SRU.EDU)
Date: 06/06/95

I just downloaded patch leve 8 a couple of weeks ago and ever since then,
I have been getting "SYSERR: CHECKPOINT shutdown: tics not updated".
While I have made changes to the patch level (nothing major), I haven't
added anything which was not already in my patch level 7 code.

I traced the message to comm.c - specifically the checkpointing() function.

Is my_signal(SIGVTALRM, checkpointing) somehow failing?  What does this
function do, specifically anyway?

I'm quite confused....

Oh, would a corrupt player file cause this?  We had a major system crash here
about the same time I changed to patch level 8 and one of my players has had
strange things happening to his password ever since....

Dave