Re: Autoloot

From: Ron Poulton (ron@res.com)
Date: 07/28/95

> > I'm not sure what you mean by a long string.  The parser routine is
> > already installed in CircleMUD as far as reading goes, however, as I
> > assume from the presence of write-routines in the editor sources I've
> > picked up, I assume CircleMUD doesn't have any routines to save world files.
>
> What I meant about the long string is when you're ready to save the
> edited world, read the current world in as is (no parsing).  Then make
> changes to the world as a string, and save it as a string (which is what
> it has to end up as anyway.  The reason for doing it like this is so any
> nonstandard roomflags or other entries will be resaved.  It's not a big
> deal, it's just that I noticed a lot of offline editors seem to save only
> what they can edit.  For example, the editor(s) that will read a mob file
> with spec_procs, but won't write them back to the file.

Aha, I see what you mean now.  I'm still thinking in terms of Pascal
constructs.  So you'd read the entire file in as a buffer and modify the
buffer directly, THEN saving the buffer back.

I haven't noticed any inconsistencies with the world saver I'm using
now.  It's worthy of a test, though.  Thanks for the info.