Re: mortals forcing logoffs

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@blaze.cs.jhu.edu)
Date: 08/02/95

> Jeremy Elson writes:
> > > Anyways, some of our mortals have found out about a bug that is really
> > > annoying to others. When one person logs in and starts playing, someone
> > > else uses their name at the login prompt and then types in three bogus
> > > passwords.  At theis time Circle 3.0 dumps both chars, the one loggin in,

> > > and the one playing the game.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?  I'm out of ideas.
> >
> > This is a known bug introduced in pl8 and fixed in pl9.
>
> Not to be difficult, but this is sort of like telling somebody who has
> just fallen overboard "Oh, we're going to be handing out life preservers
> tomorrow."  Could you share the known fix for it with us?  Or is pl9 due
> out very soon?

If this was a boat, then I'd agree with you -- but this is *beta* software
and I've repeatedly and unwaveringly *begged* people not to use it for
"production" MUDs.  Therefore it doesn't seem to me to be a top priority
to issue a fix.

In reality, the fix implemented in pl9 is not really postable because the
entire dupe-check system was scrapped and rewritten from the ground up.

In the meantime if you want to put a bandaid over the probem, go to comm.c
and find (I think) close_socket, find the code towards the end that
disconnects all players with the same IDnum as the socket that's being
disconnected, and delete it.  (The code's pretty easy to find; it has some
comment above it talking about it being a dupe-check.)

Jeremy