Re: Hiya folks...

From: MUD Programmer (mud@user.centcon.com)
Date: 08/14/95

On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Alex wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, MUD Programmer wrote:
> > 1) Will we be able to add spells very easily?  I do have some coders but we
> > aren't really ELITE C programmers here.. nevertheless we did manage the
> > OLE patch without the patch command (Damned thing wasn't installed).
> >
> If you can figure out how spells are coded now, you should have no problem
> adding more. (=

Is it in the doc files in circle/doc?  I'm currently printing out all dem
docs and looking them up.  If it's in the docs we MAY be able to swing
it.  Heaven knows we've done a lot to this code already... :)

> > 2) I was wondering if the SCAN command will be put in.
> >
> I wouldn't think so, seeing that it hasn't been added to this point, and
> Jeremy told me that he has frozen adding new things until 3.0 is gamma and
> he is working on 3.1

Maybe someone has written a patch?  Or maybe I'll just wait for 3.1..
after all, we will be using 3.1 when it's out.

> > 3) Is there a way to get Dikued to work for Circle 3.x?
> >
> Why would you want this?  OLC should be completed for the final version
> anyways... If you want the unix version to run separately, just customize
> it somewhat to use your new flags, and use it without the ascii flags.

Well, mob edits don't seem to exist in OLC - we've used redit and iedit,
but I see no medit or related utility.  So I think dikued has mobedit in
it..?

> > 4) We are building extensively in this mud; will our obj, mob, zon and
> > wld files be able to be converted?
> >
> What exactly do you mean converted?

When 3.1 comes out, we will immediately be modifying it to our needs, and
then crossing our fingers that it will run the 3.0b
world/objects/mobs/zone files.  I'd hate to have to create this mud from
scratch, even though we are doing hardly more than test-building this
current mud.  Most of it is an exercise in security, management, bug
fixing techniques, programming and coding, etc. - as well as (in the
future) public relations and mudder-attraction.  We'll hopefully have a
good 30-50 zone Mud, with a lot of totally different zones; a theme for
everyone.  With over 100 megs of HD space we darned sure can  handle it :)
All we need now are programmers - anyone out there?

> > 5) Can you PLEASE take the "hits <target> extremely hard" etc. output
> > from fight.c and put it into the misc text area?!  We had to work a tad
> > with fight.c (mostly cut & replace) to customize it.
> >
> It would take an nigh-complete rewrite of fight.c to do this.

Hence we need a programmer :)  But that will wait until 3.1

> > 6) What will it entail to create new races?
> >
> Almost like adding a new class.  Check how classes are added and then try
> working on creating a race system that essentially duplicates the way classes
> are set and whatnot.

Will do.  If we can do it ourselves we'll go right ahead.

> > I know this is a huge huge wishlist, and probably not all of it can be
> > achieved, but I've seen these things on other muds, like over at
> > chaos.bga.com 4000 (Chaos I) - in fact I've seen it all there (at least
> > the cosmetic parts; I have no idea what their source code was like).
> >
> Small suggestion for you and your coders... if you want to add things like
> this, try to get as far as you can on your own.  If you have difficulty,
> post to the list explainging what you have done thus far and ask where you
> have gone wrong or whatever.

No prob.. I'm new to mudding :) so I don't really know the scene too
well; all I do is General the situation - plan strategies for getting it
done right.  PlusI got my own zone to make, but that's another story..
man I'm so EXCITED!!! :) :)

iAnyways> > 7) Will there be programmable Mobs that can be programmed to do things

Okay, will do..

-- Steve