Re: Mobprogs

From: Chris Herringshaw (xxviper@umich.edu)
Date: 08/27/95

Instead of using it like a character, define a separate room for
each vehicle you have, and just change the exits with a timer?
I envision:

1) Create a room called "The inside of the boat" or something.

2) Create commands for transportation manipulation
   IE - "use token" in a given room will move people from the
   room to the boat room.  "disembark" will move people from
   the boat to the current room.

3) Create a procedure called "update_transportation" which gets
   called periodically from the main game loop, right after
   "mobile_update".  This procedure will keep track (via a
   global or local static variable) the current "room" the
   boat is attached to.  Let's say you switch rooms every
   forty-five seconds.  Now about ten seconds before you
   switch, you do a shout "Final Boarding call for xxxx".
   Now the boat "leaves", which really means it attaches itself
   to some water filled room to simulate the ocean.  You're
   at sea for thirty-five seconds or so, then do a "say"
   in the boat that "We are approaching xxxxx".  Ten seconds later
   the boat attaches itself to the next destination, and waits for
   a bit before announcing the final boarding call for the next
   destination, and so on.  Worked really good back when I did
   it.

The code should be extremely straight forward to implement, also.

---
Christopher Herringshaw       | University of Michigan Medical Center
Special Projects Development  | 1500 East Medical Center Dr. B1-240TC
xxviper@umich.edu             |        Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-0704
http://www.umich.edu/~xxviper |                  +0101 (313) 747-2778