Re: Segmentation fault

From: Levork (fongj@helix.net)
Date: 09/18/95

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995, Boris Levit wrote:

> > Well, considering my last days of futration I decided to write a little
> > message here.
> >
> > I've been changing some assorted stuff in the Circle3.00, patchlevel8 code.
> > It's run at a remote computer, but due to limited disk space I decided to
> > work at the source at home, testing it and so forth...
> > My own setup is Linux based, and as far as programming and compiling the
> > prgram seems error free.
> >
> > The problem arises when I transfer the sourcecocode to the remote mashine
> > (SunOS), the source still compiles without errors, and seemingly runs fine...
> >
> > BUT, MOSTLY when fighting, sometimes even when the mud is more or less
> > idle it CRASHES ... the program returns "Segmentation Fault"..
> >
> > NOW, considering this I thought... Well.. Has to be my code.. BUT,
> > whatever I do It's IMPOSSIBLE to reproduce the event at my Linux setup...
> > What I wndered is, if anyone knows why the mud gets a segmentation
> > fault.. and if it's possibly the remote systems recources that arent
> > adequate... ?
> >

> > Anyways, any comments are appreciated... actually flames too 8)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rasmus R, aka. Con.

You don't mention whether you copy the playerfile over, or whether it is
source only. If you do copy the playerfile/player objects over,  I had this
same problem myself between a Linux machine at home and a SGI machine at
work (erm.. you didn't hear that. :)  The byte order differences between
the Linux and SGI caused the binary playerfile and related binary stuff
in circle/lib to be botched, and I had random crashes until I deleted the
pfile. Sun has the same byte order as SGI (i.e. reversed from Linux) so
this might be your problem.

Levork