linux question... (fwd)

From: Billy H. Chan (~{3B:FH;~}) (bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu)
Date: 09/26/95

> From: Edward Long <ironwolf@csd.uwm.edu>
> Subject: linux question...
>
> Sorry to ask here, but Im running into some snags with linux (yes
> still).  Im downloading the most recent version I can find, but the files
> are in tar format.  Instead of untarring them on my account and then
> moving the files one by one or even zipping them back up with gzip or
> something is there a tar utility that I can get for dos?  Ive got one for
> gunzip but not for tar.  Hopefully then I can get circle to run on linux :).

Either I'm very confused or I'm very ignorant, but I don't see the reason
for transporting stuff to dos if you're gonna use linux.  The way I got my
mud to run on linux was to grab what I had from the Sparc in tar-gzip format,
ftp that file to the networked WinNT platform next to my Sparc at work,
floppy it, go home, mount the floppy drive, copy stuff to the linux side
of my pentium, tar xzf (so it unzips... but that's a GNU tar) and compile.

I don't think the mud runs too well on vanilla Ms. Dos  or if it did, it'd
be a single user mud.

Maybe you should describe your set up in more detail (what kind of account,
what kind of linux, why the heck dos) :)
It just doesn't seem to make sense to me.
-Billy H. Chan	~{3B:FH;~}		    <bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu>
 For more, check out http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~bhchan
 NovaCmdr. 'Suicide Strom' of Clan Wolf | FiestyFly FireMoth Variant
 "If you're going under 100kph, you might as well stand still"