Re: Segmentation Fault

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 10/04/95

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Entreri wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Is there any easy way to check for the cause of a segmentation
> fault?  I am getting an annoying seg fault seemingly randomly.  What can
> I do to find out the cause?
>
> entreri@netcom.com
> Realms of Syldain <netcom19.netcom.com 4000>

Segmentation faults, which are done by the UNIX, should core dump unless
the UNIX is told not to core dump (I suspect this is done via the 'limit'
command in bash, which I know allows you to change the max size of
cores), these can be checked with gdb ('info' should have information on
gdb).

However, this is all rather unuseful for you, since netcom doesn't make
core dumps, and, although I'm uncertain, I doubt you're permitted to play
with 'limit'.  In any case, find a real site and then you'll have a much
easier time, until then, you'll need to crash the MUD purposely to find
out what code is causing the crash and then painstakingly comb over it to
find the bugs - often times it's a simple mistake, and many other times
it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)