Re: Real vs. Virtual

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 10/04/95

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Graham Gilmore wrote:

> 	Can some kind soul please tell me what the difference is between
> a real and a virtual number?  Virtual numbers at least make some sort of
> sense.. I have NO idea what a Real number is for.  Thanks. :)
>
> 	Graham Gilmore
>
> (please, no comments about floating point. <g>)

Virtual numbers are the numbers in the .obj, .mob, and .wld files.  For
example, the virtual number of the temple is 3001, and I think fido is
virtual number 3062.

When the mud loads all the rooms, mobs, and object into the game, it
assigns each one a "real" number based on the order they're read.  For
example, if 0.obj contains object virtual numbers 0 and 1, they will be
assigned real numbers 0 and 1.  If the next object read is virtual number
3000, it's assigned real number 2.

Hope this is clear enough.

Sam