Re: Beating a machine reboot

From: Ron Hensley (strider@peace.hippy.org)
Date: 03/29/96

> 	That requires root access, and runs the programs as root. I think
> a mud running as root would scare just about any sys-admin.

I run mine from rc.local

simply setuid circle to your own username so even though rc.local fires
it up as root, it runs as you
  chmod 4744 circle

Voila, circle runs as its owner, no matter who invokes it.

The one tricky part is that autorun 'touches' syslog files though so root
would keep ending up getting your syslog files, but as they are in your
directory... you can mv,cp,delete them and override

    *   Ron Hensley                     strider@dmv.com               *
    *   Junior Systems Administrator    http://www.dmv.com/~strider   *
    *   DelMarVa OnLine                 749-1111 Ext. 403             *