Re: Hmm... My idea

From: Ron Hensley (strider@peace.hippy.org)
Date: 03/29/96

> I have a PPP link, which died if there is no actuivity after 20 mions, or
> sometuimes the damn thing just hangs up. I need to know how to set up a cron
> script that if the ppp is not up, to reboot the machine. I have the ppp
> start up when the machine turns on, SO...
>
> See, if it hangs up, sometimes it won't do squat (the modem) unless the pc
> reboots, hence the reboot option.
>
> Also in that script, or anmother, I need it to start the mud from the mud
> account if it's not running. (after the reboot)

Hows about just not getting hung up on at all!!!

0,15,30,45 * * * * ping -c1 myprivider.com

stick that in your crontab
every 15 minuits it pings your provider, 1 time
Thus you never get dropped due to inactivity

    *   Ron Hensley                     strider@dmv.com               *
    *   Junior Systems Administrator    http://www.dmv.com/~strider   *
    *   DelMarVa OnLine                 749-1111 Ext. 403             *