Re: Just wondering, anyone as insane as Hades?

From: Hades (tourach@cyber1.servtech.com)
Date: 04/10/96

> On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Hades wrote:
>
>      Oh I see what you've done... okay, you beat me on speed there... a
> hash table is an array of linked lists.  Say I want to index room 1031 and
> the size of my table is 727 (prime and far away from powers of 2 are good
> things in a number), then I call a function that looks at
> world_hash_table[1031 % 727], and if this isn't the room I'm looking for
> then it looks at world_hash_table[1031 % 727]->next_hashed and it
> continues until the function finds the right room or NULL is returned.
> The idea is that there wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 steps on average to
> find the room, which is much better than averaging 2000 steps as in a
> linear search.
>
>      Only thing I disagree with your system is that if you get to the
> point where you start having huge numbers for your vnumbers, your array
> size will be really big.  I personally prefer the hash table so I at
> least have control over that.

Well I admint, yeah it's huge. Why? Because at startup I initalize teh array
for 32768 records, the max # of rooms. But it's an array of pointers, so the
memory it uses isn't overly huge, like 120k if I am right in that a pointer
to a structure is 4 bytes of data, but I might be wrong there. I figure 120k
of memory is nothing compared to the speed and cpu time it would save me.
That hash-table idea ia cool too, I'm gonna look into it.

Hades