Re: mAking the |^ work

From: Tel Janin Aellinsar (icarus@Loomis.Berkshire.NET)
Date: 04/17/96

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Jeremy Elson wrote:

> People have asked this in the past, but I think it's probably not a great
> idea -- it would require that Circle put telnet clients into character mode
> rather than line mode, which will increase the bandwidth used by the MUD
> by a factor of about 100 (literally).  Lag will be much worse on slow
> links.  Plus, when the MUD lags, it will lag in echoing your characters
> back to you (which is incredibly annoying), as opposed to the current method
> which is that lag just means you don't get a reply to your commands, but you
> can at least see what you're typing.

Normally, I'd agree with you, except that a bunch of telnet clients go
into charmode by default (I know that mine does).  It also means that
every MUD I've tried using my particular telnet client dies unless
they're bright enough to send the shift-to-linemode command at the beginning.

Here's a suggestion.  How about we somehow change the code for CircleMUD
to handle telnet codes, whether by do-ing or dont-ing?  For example, my
telnet client does actually send the i-will-use-charmode sequence, plus
some screen sizing information.  It would be nice if CircleMUD could pick
up on this, preferably at any time to go with the RFC, and tell me not to
use charmode.

Tel Janin Aellinsar                       http://www.crocker.com/~icarus
McCoy Enterprises Corporation          Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa
Berserker Dragon, Knights of the Cosmos             icarus@BERKSHIRE.NET