Re: Just wondering, anyone as insane as I?

From: Alex (3raf7@qlink.queensu.ca)
Date: 04/21/96

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Michael Buselli wrote:
> > Michael B. did one... Michael? What did you use? hash(x) = x % 100 ?
> > (since every zone has max 99 rooms?)

Hold on here... if I understand this right, you are saying that all
the rooms have 100 rooms... now... what about room '00' in each zone?
That makes 100 rooms... correct?  Or at least at last count.  Maybe
I'm not reading this right however since I just woke up, but there is
something wrong somewhere with this whole argument... I just can't find
it.  Blah.

> 100 would be really bad, because then table[0]
> would have at least one room for every zone dangling on its list.  You
> want to make it so some zones start on table[3] and some on table[163]
> and some on table[X] and some on table[Y], hopefully spreading it around
> so that no two zones starts on the same table list, which will hopefully
> balance the number of rooms throughout the hash table.

Erf.
DNRC -- Minister of the Gratuitous Cluefish Attacks