Re: "Ranged" attacks?

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 04/22/96

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, PitLord wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Sammy wrote:
> > There are two ways to deal with this that I can think of.  One is to make
> > a spec_proc for archers so every so often they check to see if any evil
> > players are in range, and if so fire an arrow or volley of arrows at that
> > location without initiating combat.
>
> Hmm..what's the command to do that? I'm kinda a newbie at this..I know
> hit starts combat, but what about hitting without starting?

The easiest way to do it would be to send the hit messages from the
spec_proc, calculate the damage, and take the damage from
GET_HIT(victim).  You may also have to call update_position(), or
whatever the function is that checks for levels of consciousness, unless
you want them to be walking around with negative hitpoints till the next
tick :)

> > The other way is to have them initiate combat (guess you'll still need a
> > spec_proc for this), but change the combat system to require the use of
> > ranged weapons to fight over a distance.
>
> I thought of that, I was just wondering if there were easier solutions :).

If you want easy I'd go with the spec_proc that takes care of it without
letting players fight back.  You could mention something in the
description about the archers firing from narrow slits (forget what these
are called) so players with golden bows don't get upset about not being
able to fire back.

I can post a simple example of the spec_proc when I get back on my
machine :)

Sam