Re: Read languages(runes) skill

From: Graham Gilmore (gilmore@gmgate.vircom.com)
Date: 04/29/96

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, ShadowLord wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, George wrote:
>
> > For non-proficiency you could use the CRYPT()...That'd be about
> > realistic :)
> >

> 	How would that be realistic.  Let's examine real languages for a
> minute.  I speak English and perhaps I don't know any Spanish [I know a
> some Spanish actually, but for the sake of this example, I don't know any]
> and I hear some people speaking Spanish near me...  I hear:
>
> 	?que estacionamento de radio es este?
>  	[what radio station is this?]
>
> 	Look at the word for "radio".  Look at the word for "is".  If
> someone that didn't speak Spanish heard these words, you're going to tell
> me they wouldn't understand them?  Granted, "radio" is pronounced

	The key word in the above explanation is 'look'.  People can't
necessarily tell where one word ends and another begins if they can't
understand the language;  they might hear instead,
	queyestacion amentoderadio esseste?

	There's no way to pick out any group of syllables as a distinct
word, unless the speaker specifically separates the words.
	Good suggestions though. :)

	Graham Gilmore