Re: Read languages(runes) skill

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 05/01/96

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Tim Yohn wrote:

> 	This is very true if you know the language, but suppose you hear
> someone speaking russian and have no clue as to what thier saying, How are
> you supposed to know where one word ends and the next starts (Trust me I
> know, I've tried learning russian, it's not an incredibaly fast spoken
> language but to someone that's never heard it I couldn't imagine trying to
> tell the diffrence between 'Ktoeta?' and 'Kto eta?' It's almost said like
> one word even tho they are distenctly two diffrent words... And for those
> of you that acually speak russian don't flame me, I don't know that much
> and what I know is useless in real life...)

	To some extent you are correct.  I didn't mean to imply that it
was a foolproof mechanism, like in my response to Brian Pape, I said it's
roughly 75% accuracy at determining the difference between one word and
another word.  However, if you have heard enough foriegn languages you do
begin to notice those slight changes, pauses, or the whatnot that
indicates a seperation of words.

> 	We are working on imp'ing languages on a PK mud, it's going to be
> nice for say a group of dwarves going on a dwarf hunt, or vice versa, the
> chances of a dwarf knowing elven will be slim to none (most languages will
> be racial or specific to class).  That way when the dwarves show up on the
> elven city the elves have no clue what those three dwarves are saying
> until it's too late.  Sure you can emote but 90 percent of the races will
> start with a common language (I don't know what to call it yet but for now
> it'll be 'Common') so the talking through emote is pointless unless your a
> strange race from the back 40 that can't speak common.

	Emotes have always been a pain in language systems...

> 	I guess that means that languages will pretty much only be used
> for disguising (sp.) speach between characters.  And we plan on looking
> into the spell_parser.c file for scrambling languages, but havn't made a
> decision on what we want to do yet...

	You've gotten plenty of suggestions on what to do.