NEWBIE: Ident handler and do_finger command...

zero@baker.cnw.com
Date: 05/28/96

I just tried to login from my computer using PPP to the MUD i had
running on my shell and came across a small problem.  Im assuming it is
because i dont have ident on my computer but basically what happened is
it crashed as soon as i connected. This is the gdb output:

Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
0xef6abebc in _write ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0xef6abebc in _write ()
#1  0x3f36c in ident_check (d=0x1093d8, pulse=2) at ident.c:136
#2  0x12358 in game_loop (mother_desc=6) at comm.c:578
#3  0x11af8 in init_game (port=4111) at comm.c:244
#4  0x11a7c in main (argc=4, argv=0xeffffd24) at comm.c:214

This is the code that corresponds to the gdb:

  case CON_IDCONED:
    /* connected, write request */

    sprintf(buf, "%d, %d\n\r", ntohs(d->peer_port), port);

    len = strlen(buf);
#ifdef CIRCLE_WINDOWS
    if (send(d->ident_sock, buf, len, 0) < 0) {
#else
    if (write(d->ident_sock, buf, len) != len) {   <----- Line 136
#endif
      if (errno != EPIPE)       /* read end closed (no remote identd) */
        perror("ident check write (conned)");

      STATE(d) = CON_ASKNAME;
      break;
    }

I don't have a clue how to remedy this problem.  This was installed from
a patch from the ftp site but i dont remeber the name of the author.
Also i still haven't figured out how i can determine whether a character
is logged on or not and if they are what their current CON_XXXX is.  I
tried to look through the do_users command but i didn't see a way to
search for characters that werent logged in with those methods.  I am
completely lost, someone please help.

Thanks,
Chris