Re: Adding str dam mods

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 06/02/96

On Sun, 2 Jun 1996 linebacker@microlink.net wrote:

> if (GET_STR(ch) >= 18) {
> 	if (GET_STR(ch) == 18)
> 		GET_DAMROLL(ch) += 1;
> 	else if (GET_STR(ch) == 19)
> 		GET_DAMROLL(ch) += 2;
> 	blah
> 	else GET_DAMROLL(ch) += 5;
> }

You know, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't str_app have a damage modifier?  In
any event, the above code doesn't need to be written as such.

  if (GET_STR(ch) >= 18)
    GET_DAMROLL(ch) += MIN(5, (GET_STR(ch) - 17));

The above two lines work fine.  The logic is simple.  If strength is 18 it
will return 1 (MIN(5, (18 - 17)) = MIN(5, 1) = 1).  If strength is 22 then
it will return 5 (MIN(5, (22 - 17)) = MIN(5, 5) = 5).  Also, when stregnth
is higher than 22 will it will return 5, anyway (as a result of MIN(5,x)).

As for why damage is being upped to high, check the character's damroll...
It might be fairly high already.  Also check if the item modifies damroll.

I think it's kind of silly, though, to increase the damroll with strength,
they already hit harder when they're stronger and can wield better weapons
when they're stronger -- adding in damroll makes them much stronger!