Re: QUESTION: More versatile exits?

From: Alex (3raf7@qlink.queensu.ca)
Date: 07/04/96

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Steve wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Nick wrote:
> > On some other muds, exits are so versatile that an exit can be called
> > anything you want (and you don't have to modify the source, it just allows
> > exits to be anything).
> I made variable exits with my mud, and the way I implemented it would
> require more source patches than I'm willing to post. The world files
> have to be completely changed, etc. Rather than an array of exits, you
> have a linked list, so each time you mess with exits you have to switch
> it to the new way.
One possible suggestion would be to look at the MUSH implementation of
exits (as separate objects admittedly, but the idea could still work.
Another thought would be to add a new field to the exit... ie, make an
exit field look like say:

D				<-- Marking a 'door', note no dir...
Looking in this direction you see blah.		<-- the exit desc as
east door~			<-- the actual exit keywords... (see below)
1 -1 3241			<-- similar flags to now

The keywords would then be used to interact with the door in a manner
similar to mushes... for example 'go door.east' or something would
send you through the east door as compared to the west one or whatever...

--
Erm... Yeah.  Whatever.