Re: INFO: Docs & Snippets...

From: Barid Bel Medar (icarus@berkshire.net)
Date: 07/08/96

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Andrew P Carter wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Alex wrote:
>
> > Also, in my archives of list stuff, I found a race.doc file for an older
> > patch level of 3.x, but since most of it is still relevant and useful, I
> > put it onto the ftp site for now into the 3.x docs directory...
>
>       Welp, I got this compiled and working (once I changed the
> (d->pos)'s to GET_POS(ch)'s), but now I can't seem to access it in the game.
> I put a line in act.informative.c in ACMD(do_score) that says:
>
>   sprintf(buf, "%sYou are a %s.\r\n", buf, GET_RACE(ch));
>
>        However, it won't compile right; I get this:
>
> act.informative.c: In function 'do_score':
> act.informative.c: 666: warning: format argument is not a pointer (arg 4)
                     ^^^
This is your problem.  Unfortunately, you have a copy of SATAN (or SANTA,
though the error is less likely to occur under the latter) on your
system.  Most likely, you installed it when there was the big SATAN craze
and then forgot about it; this is the cause of many problems.  Leaving
SATAN alone for an extended period of time usually results in bizarre
system crashes and other errors.

Your best solution is to sacrifice a chicken and smear its blood all over
the floppy drive of the system that SATAN is running on.  If that doesn't
work, quickly turn off your computer; it's doubtful that your fan will be
able to deal with the amount of heat SATAN's chosen environment produces,
and you may end up with damage to your CPU.  If, after giving the system
time to cool down (preferably in a refrigerated room), SATAN continues to
interfere, call your local priest.  Although he will not be able to help,
he may be able to offer you solace.

>        Anyone know how I could get this to work?

GET_RACE() is not returning a type (char *).

Barid Bel Medar                               icarus@berkshire.net
Knights of the Cosmos            Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa
"I  am  returning  this otherwise good typing paper to you because
someone has printed gibberish all over it and  put  your  name  at
the top." - English Professor, Ohio University