Re: ADMIN: Re: Crashes

From: Brian Christopher Guilbault (guil9964@nova.gmi.edu)
Date: 07/08/96

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Billy H. Chan wrote:

> > Well, every like.. 30 minutes or so.. my mud crashes... doesn't show up
> > in the logs, and I don't have gdb.. and I don't neccisarily want it..
> > well, I have no idea what is causing the crashes.. it's not when a god
> > types anything.. so it's not a bug in a command.. anyone got any ideas? I
> > might have to get gdb...
>
> Sounds like a sysadm killing your mud.  Might be a nice root cron job to
> kill anything that's bin/circle :)
> just a thought

Or it might be a zone reset error. I had this problem once where we
crashed every 20 minutes because of a zone error that didn't stop the MUD
on boot up. The game would run find for 20, minutes then right after a
certain zone queued for reset, BANG. Down we went. If you haven't had
problems like this in the past, check any new zones you have recently
added, line by line. That's the only way to find these interesting little
bugs if you don't have gdb.

  -Brian

Brian Guilbault - GMI Engineering Institute
E-mail: guil9964@gmi.edu, dante@i-55.com
WWW: http://www.gmi.edu/~guil9964
QuarantineMUD: Telnet to exit1.i-55.com 4000