Re: LONG: Mob skills & Guildmasters

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 07/12/96

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Skylar wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Ryan A.J. Biggs wrote:
> > I take it that this is making a new mob in the format of player files.
> > THe problem I have with this is how much will it slow down the MUD,
> > having all mobs with the player_specials taking up memory.
>
> Actually, its making room for the prototype of each mob to have slots to
> save the player_specials ... i.e. the skills and spells.  As for slowdown,
> I really couldnt tell you, because the mud I'm using this on is still
> under development and only has a few hundred protos, so I dont know what
> it would be like on a large scale, though I doubt a few huntred ints per
> proto would be that big of a memory sucker...

Since you probably don't have many mobs meant to be teachers in
comparison to cannon fodder mobs, shop keepers, etc, you could add a
MOB_TEACHER flag, so only teacher mobs will need the extra memory.  All
others can be assigned to the dummy_mob.  That's assuming that real
skills take up more space than the dummy_mob (might wanna check this).
You could also assign teacher mobs on the PC class system, as in:

ASSIGN_TEACHER(mob_vnum, SKILL_KICK, skill_level, skill_percentage);

Sam