Re: LONG: Mob skills & Guildmasters

From: Ryan A.J. Biggs (ae744@freenet.toronto.on.ca)
Date: 07/12/96

> > > I take it that this is making a new mob in the format of player files.
> > > THe problem I have with this is how much will it slow down the MUD,
> > > having all mobs with the player_specials taking up memory.
> >
> > Actually, its making room for the prototype of each mob to have slots to
> > save the player_specials ... i.e. the skills and spells.  As for slowdown,
> > I really couldnt tell you, because the mud I'm using this on is still
> > under development and only has a few hundred protos, so I dont know what
> > it would be like on a large scale, though I doubt a few huntred ints per
> > proto would be that big of a memory sucker...
>
> Since you probably don't have many mobs meant to be teachers in
> comparison to cannon fodder mobs, shop keepers, etc, you could add a
> MOB_TEACHER flag, so only teacher mobs will need the extra memory.  All
> others can be assigned to the dummy_mob.  That's assuming that real
> skills take up more space than the dummy_mob (might wanna check this).
> You could also assign teacher mobs on the PC class system, as in:
>
> ASSIGN_TEACHER(mob_vnum, SKILL_KICK, skill_level, skill_percentage);

Well Sammy, I am not just talking teachers, that's the problem.  I am
talking ANY mob to have a skill.  (Imagine The Guardian of Infinite Power
with DODGE and PARRY!)  The way I am re-writing the MUD is such that very
rarely will I have a mob that has a spec_proc that calls a spell
directly, more than likely, the mob will cast the spell (just like a
player) and have a chance to fail or succeed) just like a player.  This
will also allow for mobs to be a bit more creative, as they have full
access to player skills and spells.

Ryan A.J. Biggs    email-ae744@freenet.toronto.on.ca
Doppleganger, Charon the Boatman and member of Dieties Anonymous
Owner of a 100% organic wibble and Plasma lamp, and rubber chicken
Keeper of the sacred butcher knife and the Cloak of Shadows
Compiler of the Net.Psionics.Handbook