Re: QUESTIOn: Dodge & parry (was Mob skills & Guildmaster)

From: Brian Christopher Guilbault (guil9964@nova.gmi.edu)
Date: 07/12/96

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira wrote:

> I am curious, how have you guys implemented DODGE & PARRY?

I am in the middle of doing this right now. Infact, RIGHT now :-) The way
I am doing it is this. For parry, it is a warrior only skill that is
checked in the hit() function. I am still debating weather or not to let
them only parry the first attack, or if they can parry all attacks in the
round (suggestions welcome). I make the probability to dodge equal to the
skill SKILL_DODGE / 5. This means that parries don't happen that often,
but I have them do no damage at all if sucessful.

For dodge, I again make it automatic. All characters have a chance to
dodge based on their dexterity. But, it's also a warrior skill, so
warriors can practice it and improve the chance of dodging successfully.
I asked this same question a few days ago and got several rexponses.
These are the ideas that I came up with based on the combination of these
ideas. Parry works great and I'm doing dodge now.

  -Brian

Oh, and thanks to all who responed to my processor time post. It was
appreciated.

Brian Guilbault - GMI Engineering Institute
E-mail: guil9964@gmi.edu, dante@i-55.com
WWW: http://apollo.gmi.edu/~guil9964
QuarantineMUD: Telnet to exit1.i-55.com 4000