new magic system

From: David Blocher (dblocher@prolog.net)
Date: 07/14/96

  I would like to have a magic system somewhat like D&D. I.E. a magic user
can only memorize a certain number of spells per level.  The spells are
associated with some level.  Then the player can only cast spells that they
have memorized.  I know I have seen this in other muds (empire for example)
but not on any circle based muds.  From what I can tell this would take a
major rewrite of the magic system.
Spells would have to have level and memorization time added to them.
Players would need a way storing what spells are memorized and what are in
the process of being memorized.
and of course new commands to show what spells are memorized and what can be
memorized, as well as the memorize command.

Actually I guess it doesn't seem that bad, the toughest part should be
storing the state of spells on the char.

has anybody done something like this and could you point me in right
direction, maybe even a shove?
Vain
*   David Blocher			     *
*   Process Computer Engineer		     *
*   Carpenter Technology Corp.		     *
* "I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow!"      *