Re: Act.informative.c

From: Eric L. Helvey (helver@newwave.net)
Date: 07/23/96

Look.  You are stepping into type conversion problems.  You are THINKING with
floats (real numbers, fractions, decimels, dollars AND cents) but you are
WORKING with ints (integers, whole number, dollars ONLY).  The ONLY way to
get it to work properly is to cast it something like:

z = ((float)(x));

OR to force the ints into floats by using a float constant, like:

z = 10 * 50.0;

If you ONLY use ints, your answer will ONLY be an int.  If you use ANY
floats, your answer will be a float.

Next lesson.

int x;
float y;

y=.9;
x=y;

What is x?

Answer: 0.

Why?  X is an int, a whole number.  When you assign a float value to an int,
you truncate the decimals.

int x;

x = 10/2;

What is x?  5.

x = 10/3;

What is x?  3.

x = 49/50;

What is x?  0.

So, basically unless you force your division into floats, you will be
dividing by 0 each time any char has less than 100% health.  You can force
it to float using a cast, or by using a float constant (50.0)

Helver