Re: [Circle] Re: Just an observation

From: Chris Grantham (casper@optima.mme.wsu.edu)
Date: 07/25/96

At 04:47 PM 7/25/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>        You know, even though i submit a few things here and there, I agree
>>with you 100%. It's pretty sad when someone ftps, untarrs, and compiles and
>>they call themselves an IMP. IMPs must KNOW_C_ and there is nothing more
>>to it. If you aren't familiar with it, don't try it.
Well.. not quite.. but close. IMPS MUST be able to pick up on C FAST (C-IQ?)
The best way to do this is to know another programming language like C (I
did MOOs for 2 years before I even figured out that hey, this IS basiclly C,
so lets do REAL C!) An IMP MUST Code! You don't have to do it well, or
often, but you've gotta be able to compare working code and non working code
and figure out compiler errors and warnings. For every non full time coding
imp you've got to have 2 full timers just to compenstae IMHO..

>IMPS do NOT have to know C.
BS!

>Someone on your MUD needs to know C IF you want to have an original MUD.
YES! THE IMPS!

>If you don't try it, how will you become familiar with it?
You can try, just don't beg people to write the code for you.. download all
of the 'snippets' and look at them.. PRINT All 34k lines of code (2? 3 reams
of paper?) That is your new bible! And DONT open your little base circle
haven to the public! You'll only keep potential players from coming back
when you're worth a damn.

>And honestly, some of the more helpful/interesting things in CircleMUD are
>easily changeable.
Hmm.. to pk or not to pk.. that's about it.. You want color? Good luck if
you don't know C or don't know how to read the helpful docs on it!

    \      Chris Grantham (aka Zxoi)
    /      casper@optima.mme.wsu.edu

                  TrekMUD               /