Re: [Circle] Multiple coders

From: Ole Gjerde (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 07/27/96

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Mark Mc Arthey wrote:
> This is a question for those that are fortuitous enough to have
> more than one coder, or those that think a lot about how 'neat-o'
> it would be to have more than one coder. :)

Personally, I prefer to be the one and only coder.  It makes things a
little easier.  But of course it might not be the best way.

> How do you handle modifications and patches made to source code?
> We would like to use RCS, but none of us are located next to one
> another so locking the files in a central location isn't feasible.
> We had suggested a central location for the archive files (ftp site
> somewhere) so we could keep track of what is locked, etc, but that
> isn't a very practical solution either.

The perfect solution for you is CVS.  It uses RCS as it's basis, but it
does a lot more.  It does not lock the files, so anyone (with
permissions) can checkout files at any times(You have one master
source).  It can also be done remotely(i.e. on the computer having the
master source, you run the cvs server, and your other coders can checkout
the files directly to their computers).  CVS is really cool, but is a
little hard to get a hand of to begin with.

Check out http://www.cyclic.com/ which is a company that does support for
CVS, but also has links to other sources of information on CVS.  You can
get cvs from ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/ and you can get the latest
beta from ftp://ftp.cyclic.com/ but I would recommend getting the latest
one on the mit site.

Note: You need to get RCS from prep.ai.mit.edu also, since CVS uses this
package.

----
Ole Gjerde
Homepage: http://www.pconline.com/~gjerde
Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@pconline.com
Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
"Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."
                                                  -- Unknown/Nem Schlecht