Re: [Circle] Just an observation...

From: Franco (awe@mt.arias.net)
Date: 07/28/96

        You know, I think your missing the point. There is a difference,
at least in my eyes, and its called effort. If your a new coder, an old
coder, a teacher of basketweaving, its all the same. If someone wants a
hand at making an improvement, or building a ship proc, there is a correct
way and an incorrect way to go about bring it up.
        Here is something I would respond to:
"Ok, the following is what im trying to accomplish:
  Blah blah blah.
 Now, I'm new at this, and this may be 180 degrees off, but this
 is what I think i need to do:

 -->paste attempted code here, or at least part

 Now, this is the output I get, and the compiler errors i get, ect, ect.
 Can anyone help?"

        Here is something I would not respond to:
"Ok, this is what i am looking for:
  blah blah blah.
 Anyone done this or can they give me advice or
 give me their code?"

        It would seem to me that example 1 shows that effort has been
made, and even if its 100% wrong, it still shows, "damn, this guy took a
good try, and he got his hands dirty. Hes on to something here..". Example 2
shows me "This guy may have tried, or may be freeloading...". And it is always
easier to reply to errors if the added lines are avail to look at ("gee, there
is your error, forgot to increment this value") rather than guessing ("I tried
to add SKILL_DUALATTACK and get compiler errors...anyone help?").

        Just my $.02

                Franco