Re: [Circle] Assassin spec_proc....NEW VERSION! (woohoo!)

From: Ryan A.J. Biggs (ae744@freenet.toronto.on.ca)
Date: 07/28/96

> Why not? The research in finding out how to make the sanity checks would
> probably build character. Here's a hint. Store the player's IDNUM on the
> mob. (add a new npc/pc variable for it, or overwrite an old value) At
> time of message check to see if IDNUM is online... if so tell him... if
> he's not, manually malloc() some memory, prepare a string (in the memory
> you just malloced), place that string (with the arguments needed) into
> the top of his Mail list & make sure the mail list writes to the data file.
> Although seemingly tricky at first, most of the mailing part is ALL taken
> care of in mail.c (Imagine My Surprize!) you should look there for the
> most help.

Well, the sanity check for if the player is online is easy.  What I
wanted to do for notification was to automatically e-mail the player.
BUT, the e-mail procedure uses both a sender and a recipient (how do I
make the GAME a sender if it requires an IDNUM of a PLAYER?!) and then it
talks about pointers for the message.  Please, I'm still in the learning
stages of C.  Pointers scare me :)  As to the memory bit.,....what's
malloc?  I am just starting.  If you take a look at the code you will
notice it's startling resemblance to easy to understand code.  :)

Ryan A.J. Biggs    email-ae744@freenet.toronto.on.ca
Doppleganger, Charon the Boatman and member of Dieties Anonymous
Owner of a 100% organic wibble and Plasma lamp, and rubber chicken
Keeper of the sacred butcher knife and the Cloak of Shadows
Compiler of the Net.Psionics.Handbook