[Circle] A horrible problem I am having...

From: Hades (tourach@servtech.com)
Date: 07/30/96

Ok, this is the bug from gdb... it crashes ONLY SOMETIMES when loading an
object. Sometimes it's when a char logs in, sometimes when I type load o
<number>, and sometimes when a zone resets...

0x50038df7 in malloc ()
(gdb) back
#0  0x50038df7 in malloc ()
#1  0x50084404 in __DTOR_END__ ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x20.
(gdb)

The wierd thing? Ok...
90% of the time it crashes in: 0x50038df7 in malloc ()
100% of the time: Cannot access memory at 0x20

No matter where in the code, if it's a char logging in, me loading an
object, or forcing a zone reset.

Now A) Does anyone know what would cause it to crash in maloc () to begin
with
B) I think it's a hardware error. I could very well be wrong but 0x20 doesnt
sound like a correct memory address... isnt it 0x<8 digits> and not 2
digits? Like i said I could be wring but WHY would it continually crash at
0x20 every time? and at 0x50038df7 in malloc?

Does ANYONE have any suggestionbs, hints or tips? I have already pulled out
all the simms, only used some, rearranged them, etc. Basically I have tried
it with every simm in the machine gone at one point or another, so I do not
think it's a bad simm.

Also, DOS occasionally (not often at all, but occassionally) freezes up,
even when sitting at the dos prompt. The mud crashes every time.

I also think I might have an unrelated bad hard drive... that couldnt cause
that error could it?

I'm going nuts here, muds been down for days now.

Hades