Re: [Circle] New way of dying...

From: Steve (quickey@cyberverse.com)
Date: 08/06/96

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Lost Empire wrote:

> I think this is a great idea, but instead of losing con, why not lose
> some cha, i mean, it would finnally add some good use to the stat! The
Well, your CON is suppose to represent how "hearty" you are. I guess you
could get "uglier" too, but considering it doesn't have any other bearing
on the game, losing a point of CHA isn't gonna bother players.

> only question i have for you is on your mud, what do you have to prevent
> high level players from whipping out all the weaker ones?
Its called rules and supervision. No matter how much coding you do, a mud
can NEVER run on its own. Players find ways around things, and you must
have some diplomatic rules. I allow PKing within 3 or so levels for any
reason. However if you PK someone really far out of your level range, its
logged and usually an IMM or WIZ will ask you why. We usually allow PKing
for EQ. We like the idea that: if you cant defend it, you dont deserve to
have it. Its rude and primal, but if they're higher level and you have a
bitchin ass weapon, you should be able to defend yourself. We also
occasionally allow PKing for grudges. (i.e. he called me a ..., or he was
making fun of my sister or things like that)

Steve
quickey@cyberverse.com

From goamkows@kirk.geog.sc.edu Tue, 6 Aug 96 13:50:22 EDT
From: goamkows <goamkows@kirk.geog.sc.edu>
To: circle <circle@cspo.queensu.ca>
Subject: [Circle] wall of fog
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 18:50:00
Sender: owner-circle@cspo.queensu.ca

well, i've got a working wall of fog spell, but i doubt if it is any
efficient ;)  basically, when a player moves into a room or does look,
it checks all the objects in the room for a "fog" object.  if it finds
one, it obscures their vision:

	for (j = world[ch->in_room].contents; j; j = next_thing) {
	  next_thing = j->next;
	  if (GET_OBJ_VNUM(j) == 32) {
		send_to_char("A cloud of fog obscures your vision", ch);
		return;
	  }
	}

but, to have to go through all the objects in a room, every time any
player moves into any room, seems like a grossly inefficient way to do
this.  anybody have any suggestions on a better way to go about this?