Re: [Circle] Memory problem?

From: Steve (quickey@cyberverse.com)
Date: 08/06/96

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Haddixx wrote:

> This was the first record that made me think I had a memory leak.  The
> max res size kept increasing.    However, this is a record from a stock
> circle mud:

> 10:56:21 :: rusage: user time: 5 sec, system time: 0 sec, max res size:
> 3208
> 11:00:21 :: rusage: user time: 6 sec, system time: 1 sec, max res size:
> 3224
> 11:00:51 :: rusage: user time: 6 sec, system time: 1 sec, max res size:
> 3228
> 11:05:21 :: rusage: user time: 6 sec, system time: 1 sec, max res size:
> 3228
> 11:05:51 :: rusage: user time: 6 sec, system time: 1 sec, max res size:
> 3240
> 11:10:21 :: rusage: user time: 7 sec, system time: 1 sec, max res size:
> 3248
> 11:10:51 :: rusage: user time: 7 sec, system time: 1 sec, max res size:
> 3252
> 11:11:51 :: rusage: user time: 7 sec, system time: 1 sec, max res size:
> 3256
>
> Under both circumstances the max res size is increasing.  Maybe I don't
> entirely
> undrestand what the max res size is.  I imagined that the memory usage
> would
> go up and down, not just up.  Is this normal?  I guess what I really
> want
> to know is if I have a memory leak or not?

This is most likely not a memory leak, but the mobs continually loading
because of reset commands. It should stop after a while (depending on how
many objs/mobs you have and what they're max is. However the person who
said they're circle mud grew from 2 megs to 20 megs to 40 megs most
likely has a memory leak.

Steve
quickey@cyberverse.com

From goamkows@kirk.geog.sc.edu Tue, 6 Aug 96 16:22:27 EDT
From: goamkows <goamkows@kirk.geog.sc.edu>
To: circle <circle@cspo.queensu.ca>
Subject: [Circle] puff bug
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 21:22:00
Sender: owner-circle@cspo.queensu.ca

well, i suspect that that bug that made players say puff stuff is in
some way related to that whois function that was posted the other day.
haven't really looked at it yet, but i put it in and it started
happening, and then commented it out and it went away (or at least
hasn't yet started up again, though i suppose it still might).

:O