Re: [Circle] [CODE] Help

From: Jack Wilson (deejay@cu-online.com)
Date: 08/13/96

Jack Wilson wrote:

> Sean P. Mountcastle wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >         I need some help with this snippet of code, for some strange
> > reason, I cannot get the telnet client into character mode:
> >
> > void charmode_on(struct descriptor_data *d)
> > {
> >    char *on_string[] =
> >    {
> >       (char) IAC,
> >       (char) DONT,
> >       (char) TELOPT_LINEMODE,
> >       (char) 0,
> >    };
> >    SEND_TO_Q(on_string, d);
> > }
> >
> > Where the 'DONT' is I've  tried DO, WILL, WONT, I've also tried to use
> > TELOPT_LFLOW, TELOPT_STATUS, TELOPT_NAWS, and a couple of others.
>
> The way it should work and the way it is actually implemented in telnet
> clients is a bit different.  :)  To get into character mode send
>
>    IAC WILL ECHO
>
> What this tells the telnet client is that the server "will" echo any
> characters typed, thus the client needn't do it locally.  As a side
> effect, you're now in character mode.  To get out, send:
>
>    IAC WONT ECHO
>
> telling the client that the server "wont" echo any more characters, so
> the client should start echoing them.

Gack.  I can't believe I just wrote that dreck.  So sorry.  I was just
going off some other server code.

Anyway, the correct answer was already given by someone else.  Use
Suppress Go Ahead (IAC WILL SGA) to enter character mode.

Just acknowledging the validity of the other person's answer before
this list gets spammed with "you're wrong!" a dozen times.  Again,
sorry about that.

--
[----- Jack Wilson ------- mailto:deejay@cu-online.com ----------------]
[--- Home page: http://www.cu-online.com/~deejay/ ---------------------]